(Adopted in April, 1950, and revised several times thereafter. As of October, 2021) (Authorized by the Council and the General Assembly on October, 2021)
I. The name of the Society is the Society for the History of Economic Thought.
II. The purpose of the Society is to promote:
A. Research in the history of economics, and social and economic thought.
B. Academic contacts with other academic communities of the history of economic thought both in and outside Japan.
III. In order to accomplish the above-mentioned activities, the Society engages in the following projects.
A. Organization of annual meetings, which are held once a year. If necessary, special meetings are held occasionally.
B. Organization of open lectures.
C. Communications with other societies of economic science in and outside of Japan.
D. Publication of a journal.
E. Awarding of the Society’s prize.
F. Other projects necessary to accomplish the purposes of the Society.
IV. Application for membership should be addressed to the Society’s President. Membership is approved by the Council.
V. Membership Fee
1. The regular membership fee for the Society is 10,000 yen per year.
2. The graduate membership fee is 3,000 yen, and the post graduate membership fee is 6,000 yen per year, respectively.
G. The journal is sent to all members (except for life members) of the Society for the History of Economic Thought.
H. Members can resign from the Society by submitting a notice of withdrawal to the President. Those who fail to pay annual dues are considered to have resigned from the Society. However, they can reactivate their memberships if they pay delinquent fees.
I. Members of the Society who contribute greatly to research in the field of the history of economic thought can be appointed as honorary members. Such appointment requires recommendation of the Council and approval of the general assembly.
J. The Society has the Council and auditors.
1. The Council consist of up to 30 members, who administers the affairs of the Society.
2. The President represents the Society, and is appointed from among the Council members.
3. The Society appoints two auditors, who are members of the Society. The auditors are elected from the members of the Society through an election. The term of the auditors is two years. Auditors cannot hold office for more than six consecutive years, though they can be elected again at another time.
4. The term of Council members is two years. Council members cannot hold office for more than six consecutive years, though they can be elected again at another time.
K. Members of the Council are elected from the members of the Society and approved by the general assembly.
L. To deal with routine matters of the Society, several executive members can be elected from among the Council members.
M. The Council appoints some committee members, who are members of the Society.
N. The Society meets in a general assembly once each year. Should the Council or the two thirds of the members of the Society request it, the Society shall call a special assembly.
O. Decisions of the general assembly are determined by a majority vote of the members present at the assembly. In case of a tie, the chairman casts the deciding vote.
Proposal to amend the Constitution or to dissolve the Society
P. Proposals to amend the Society’s Constitution or to dissolve the Society should be made by at least a majority of the Council, or by at least 15 members of the Society. The assent of two thirds of those attending the general assembly is required either to amend the Constitution or to dissolve the Society.
- The Council appoints two councilors of the Union of National Economic Association in Japan.
- The Society is located in Accelight Corporation (Secretariat of the Society for the History of Economic Thought, 5F Asahi Nakayama Building, 354 Hong, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033, Japan).
- In spite of the article I, no honorary members should be appointed after the semicentennial year (2000) of the Society.
- The Society’s fiscal year begins on April 1 and ends on March 31 of the following year.